Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Welcome Back to School Letter... In case you missed it!

   
Dear Parents and Families,

Welcome to the fifth grade!  I am excited to get the year started and meet each and every one of you.

So, here is a little bit about myself:  I hold a Master’s Degree in Education from Viterbo University as well as a Reading 316 License and this is my 8th year of teaching! This is my 1st  in 5th grade! So…yep, I ready to learn a new grade level!  Honestly, I am extremely excited to work with this age group. I find that I thoroughly enjoy teaching more each year, and I work hard to find new and exciting ways to teach and engage my students. I don’t think I ever taught a lesson the exact same way twice! There is always something I can tweak.
I grew up and lived in Cecil until I went away to college.  My husband and I live in Shiocton enjoying our country neighborhood and using every opportunity to be outside with our kids, Cole-3 and Tegan-1.  Going for walks with my kids and dog, Bella, cheering for the Packers, outdoor activities at home, reading, cheering on my husband at demolition derbies, and Pinterest are some of my favorite free time activities.
Fifth grade is a very important year. The curriculum is both challenging and exciting. Your child must be prepared to meet the new demands of middle school in just one year! When the school year begins please take time to review the student expectations as well as any forms that will be sent home. During the first few days of school, I will be teaching, and students will be practicing, the classroom procedures and expectations.  Students are expected to be respectful, work hard, and do their best every day.
Students will be allowed to enjoy a healthy snack and milk will be available each morning.  I trust you, the parent, to send wholesome snack of your choice.  I will not be policing food choices (nor do I want to), but I prefer snacks not be candy, chips, or junk food in general.  We do have a long morning in 5th grade. A good breakfast paired with a nutritious snack can really sustain your child and help him/her stay focused longer.  
I view you, your child, and me as a team. When we all do our part, a productive and successful year for your child is the outcome.  Communication is paramount for this to happen.  Please share with me any information about your child or family that you feel would help me best meet your child’s academic, social, or emotional needs. You may do this via e-mail, phone, or a note.
My e-mail address is:  nadiemel@pulaskischools.org (If it is a timely or urgent message, always call the office.  I may not read my e-mail until after school)
Class phone:  822-6142- before 7:30 am or after 2:45pm.  (Please note: any timely or urgent messages should be left with the office 822-6100)


This year my goal is to communicate important class news/ info via e-mail.  I will share announcements, details of large projects and other useful information.  Please be sure you have provided a current, frequently checked e-mail address to me or the office.
Here is a glance at our key learning units for fall:
Science- “Magnets and Motors” In small lab groups students build, create, and experiment with small motors and the scientific properties of magnets.
Social Studies- The 13 colonies, Declaration of Independence, and map skills
Writing- Personal Narratives, Paragraphing, Grammar in context
Reading- Responding to reading in writing, comprehension, Daily 5 routines
Vocabulary/ Word Work- Greek and Latin root words and Words Their Way Program
Math- “Stepping Stones”  math program
Information and Technology- integrated into all subject areas, throughout  the year.  Our classroom has net books and I-Pads this year in addition to the class set of computers on wheels.
Please ask your child about what they are studying and ask them to bring home graded work.   If they can’t tell you, ask to see the agenda.  Even if there is not an assignment, students will be writing a brief description of what we covered that day. I do not assign “homework” except reading (independent reading at least 20 minutes at home/daily) and practicing words for word work and vocabulary.  I allow class-time for most assignments. Most kids, when using their time wisely, will have little (if any) work for home. If it appears your child has too much work to do at home, please contact me.
Again students and parents, welcome to 5th grade and what I hope will be a FANTASTIC and PRODUCTIVE final year at Glenbrook School!
Yours truly,
Mrs. Nicole Diemel

No comments:

Post a Comment